Innovation in Memory Care
Memory loss presents a challenging chapter in life, both for the person who is experiencing it and their loved ones. Clark is at the forefront of innovation in memory care and has developed unsurpassed expertise in this growing area.
Montessori for Aging and Dementia
Driven by a commitment to excellence and innovation, we were the first life plan community in the United States to adopt the Montessori for Aging and Dementia program. Led by certified Montessori practitioners, this approach empowers residents with memory loss to be independent and lead purposeful lives by creating:
- Meaningful roles and routines
- Activities for each person based on their history and interests
- A safe and secure environment filled with memory cues and supports
For people with dementia, the part of the brain for speech is different than the part processing music. This is why those who can no longer converse or have memory impairment are able to sing a song from beginning to end.
Our music therapy program, led by certified music therapists, provides not only therapeutic value, but comfort and happiness to those with memory impairment. We also offer IN2L (It’s Never Too Late) which allows residents to musically reminisce through computer technology.
Our Philosophy of Dementia Care
Focus on what is possible
It’s easy to focus on what has been lost when dementia causes changes in a person you love. However, we like to build upon what is present.
Dementia can cause distress and frustration. We focus on alternative care techniques and therapeutic approaches to reduce this frustration. We try to anticipate the needs of each person before distress settles in.
Engage and stimulate
Memory care typically focuses on physical necessities such as bathing, dressing and other activities of daily living. We also focus on enriching and optimizing each resident’s total quality of life.
We foster an environment of continuous learning and education for our staff and caregivers, and provide support and resources to family members and friends. Our goal is to normalize the dementia journey as much as possible for everyone.
Dementia Care at Clark Includes:
- Private room and bath with temperature controls
- Individualized activity plans appropriate to each person’s abilities and interests
- Gentle reminders and assistance as needed with daily activities
- Housekeeping and laundry services
- Restaurant-style dining, offering choice and comfort
- Group events and outings to restaurants, cultural destinations and events
- Additional medical care as needed
- A safe, secure environment
- Supervised access to outdoor gardens
- Several common areas within the building that can be accessed by the resident, such as recreation rooms and sitting areas
Levels of Memory Care:
Memory Care Locations:
Clark at Franklin
Part of a charming, classic neighborhood convenient to downtown Grand Rapids.
FRANKLIN CAMPUS ADDRESS
1551 Franklin St.SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49506
Clark at Keller Lake
Near Cascade and Ada, offering views of Keller Lake and plenty of peaceful walking trails.
KELLER LAKE CAMPUS ADDRESS
2499 Forest Hill Ave SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
Email Sign Up
Get news, events and helpful resources from Clark.